31 December, 2009

The End of '09

As 2009 comes to a close, I don't really have anything worth mentioning. 2009 wasn't that great film-wise, or otherwise. However, before 2009 ends, here are the last five films I watched this year:


Vengeance
Directed by Johnnie To, written by Wai Ka-fai, starring Johnny Hallyday, Anthony Wong, Simon Yam, Lam Suet, Gordon Lam Ka-tung, and Sylvie Testud; also starring Michelle Ye, Berg Ng, Eddie Cheung, Felix Wong, Law Wing-cheong, Maggie Siu, Stanley Fung, Jo Koo, Elena Kong, and Vincent Sze.
After watching Vengeance for the second time, I still liked it. (If you want my lengthier thoughts on Johnnie To's latest film, check out the previous blog post.)


Split Second Murders
Directed by Herman Yau, starring a lot of Hong Kong actors, co-starring even more Hong Kong actors, with guest stars and special guest stars.

Simply put, Herman Yau's latest film has a large cast. It's also an entertaining film from one of Hong Kong's best directors.


Dracula 3000
One of the worst films ever made. It's such an awful film that I'm surprised it was made. That being said, it's pretty funny after a healthy amount of alcohol.


Blood: The Last Vampire
Having seen the live action adaptation recently, I decided to re-watch the anime original. I'm not going to slam the new film's shortcomings, but the original is better. However, the live action version stars Jun Ji-hyun.


Sisters On the Road
Directed by Boo Ji-young, starring Kong Hyo-jin, and Shin Min-a.

Following the death of their mother, half-sisters Myeong-ju (Kong) and Myeong-eun (Shin) travel together to find Myeong-eun's long-lost father. Throughout the journey, the two must face unresolved feelings of anger toward one-another, as well as their own personal issues.

Like so many other great stories, it's more the journey than the end that really matters. The chemistry between Kong and Shin proves excellent, and their portrayals of disheartened sisters is touching. This was a blind purchase for me, and a pleasant one. Sisters On the Road is one of the better (if not best) films of the year, and a wonderful cinematic experience that I heartily recommend.


Though 2009 provided plenty in film to be disappointed about, I'd like to end things on a positive note. So, thanks to everyone that recommended a film to me, thanks to everyone that joined me in discussing film, and thanks to everyone that listened to me ramble on about films I loved and hated; I sincerely hope that I will be fortunate enough to experience the same in '010.

No comments: