22 July, 2008

Magic and Love

This time, a shorter post, covering just two films: Hong Kong horror film Gong Tau: An Oriental Black Magic, and Korean romance drama My Girl & I.


Gong Tau: An Oriental Black Magic














Gong Tau is a Category III, meaning it is not for the kiddies, horror flick about a cop whose family is cursed by the mystical Gong Tau. The Voodoo-like magic slowly affects everyone close to him, and he must try like the Dickens to find out who has put the whammy on him so that he can salvage what is left of his quickly deteriorating life.

An entertaing horror flick that has some good scares and a decent story, which is more than can be said for most contemporary horror films. If you've seen and liked films, like The Serpent and the Rainbow, that have some gruesome scenes, though not to the degree of depravity seen in the Saw or Hostel films, you'll be in for a treat with Gong Tau.


My Girl & I













The second and final film for this abbreviated post, is the Korean romance drama My Girl & I. Adapted from a Japanese film, My Girl & I stars some extremely photogenic actors in contrived and overdone situtations that we've all seen before. And yet, the stars aligned to make this an incredibly engrossing, if somewhat light, drama that is probably better than it should be.

It is simple enough, boy meets girl, they fall in like, get to know each other, flutters begin in their tummies, and then they discover their love can never be, due to the obligatory contrived circumstance. Inspite of this, My Girl & I manages to tug at the old heartstrings, and even made a cynical, jaded, love-deprived guy like myself care what happened to the characters. Something that is no small feat.

No comments: