16 January, 2010

Through the Cloudy Sky

The Message
Directed by Chen Kuo-fu, starring Li Bing-bing, Zhou Xun, Zhang Han-yu, and Huang Xiao-ming.

With great acting, a compelling tale, and excellent production values, The Message should have been a really good film. Unfortunately, Director Chen's attempts to infuse the film with stylish elements proves more silly than innovative, and undermines the tension. The Message ends up an interesting, though underwhelming, tale of espionage.


Guns & Talks
Directed by Jang Jin, starring Shin Hyun-jun, Won Bin, Shin Ha-kyun, Jung Jae-young, Jung Jin-young, and Kong Hyo-jin.

It's more talks than guns, and the talks tend to drag a bit as a group of hitmen wax philosophically. An entertaining time-killer.


Ditto
Directed by Kim Jong-kwon, written by Jang Jin and Kim Jong-kwon, starring Kim Ha-neul, Yoo Ji-tae, Ha Ji-won, and Park Yong-woo.

Two love-lorn college students from different times find each other via a malfunctioning ham radio. A engaging film that I enjoyed until the last twenty minutes, when the dvd stopped working properly. Sadly, I didn't receive any messages from a love-lorn woman via the malfunctioning disc. Look for further thoughts from me on Ditto after I watch my newly purchased dvd of it.



Check back soon for my thoughts on The Day A Pig Fell Into the Well, The Housemaid, Blazing Saddles, Bandhobi, and I Wish I Had A Wife.

No comments: