07 January, 2009

That's a Wrap

This time: It's all Hong Kong films with First Love: Litter on the Breeze, My Lucky Star, Invisible Target, Purple Storm, and Tiramisu. I'm feeling sleepy and lazy, so I'm going to put terribly short descriptions of each film. Enjoy.

First Love: Litter on the Breeze
Eric Kot's directorial debut is an incredibly post-modern film that is as exhausting as it is engaging. Worth a look.

My Lucky Star
Mind-numbing crap starring Miriam Yeung and Tony Leung (the short, older Tony). It's crap, (as I mentioned) but it is also entertaining, thanks to Miriam Yeung's comedic abilities.

Invisible Target
An action film that tries to be more than it is, Invisible Target attempts to wow while making the audience feel and think; neither of which are necessary for this film. At least there is plenty of action.

Purple Storm
An interesting film that possesses a kind of reverse Manchurian Candidate plot. Better than one might expect.

Tiramisu
Stars Karena Lam and Nicholas Tse are immensely likeable, and the tale of spectral love is endearing and enjoyable.

That wraps up the films I watched in 2008. Check back soon for how I started 2009. (Hint: Watching films)

No comments: